Whitehouse "dissident" web site monitoring?

Brian Davis bdavis at thepoint.net
Tue Sep 12 14:56:35 PDT 1995

On Tue, 12 Sep 1995 an215712 at anon.penet.fi wrote:

>       WHITE HOUSE MONITORING OF DISSIDENTS ON THE INTERNET
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!

Unbelievable!!!  To add to this distressing truth, I have learned that
the White House also subscribes to a number of newspapers and periodicals
which are reviewed for things of interest to the Administration and to
the President. I I I I I I ammmmmmmmmm shocked!

Ooops.  Dog bites man.
And do you really think the White House couldn't hire a couple of net
gurus to sniff packets if they wanted to hide their "monitoring"(=reading).

EBD

> [...]
> although not impossible - to find the server that the White House
> uses  for  reading  or  receiving netnews and check for traces on
> that server.
>
>     Readers may be tempted to post a threat to the President on a
> newsgroup just to see if they get a visit from the Secret Service
> the next day. That experiment is not advisable. It is a  criminal
> offense.  But  Usenet  just might be a faster conduit for getting
> the attention of the administration than the email  address  that
> the White House has published for the president.

>                       THE WASHINGTON WEEKLY
>
> August 31, 1995
>
> Virginia M. Terzano
> White House Office of the Press Secretary
> The White House
>

> Dear Ms. Terzano:
>
>     It has come to my attention that several dissident  sites  on
> the  World  Wide  Web  have been visited by White House computers
> this week.  Apparently,  all  information  regarding  Whitewater,
> Foster, and Mena has been transferred to White House computers.
>
>     Specifically, the sites,
>
> "Washington Weekly" (http://www.federal.com),
> "The Whitewater Scandal Home Page"
> (http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~crow/whitewater/)
> "Whitewater & Vince Foster"
> (http://www.cris.com/~dwheeler/n/whitewater/whitewater-index.html)
>
> have  been  visited  by  White  House   computers   ist1.eop.gov,
> ist6.eop.gov, ist7.eop.gov, and gatekeeper.eop.gov between August
> 28 and August 31, and a total of 128 files have been  transferred
> to those White House computers. For all sites, this constitutes a
> significant  increase  over  previous  access  by   White   House
> computers.
>
>     In light of this information, I have the following questions:
>
> (1) Does this constitute "casual browsing" by White House staff, or
>     is it, in light of the considerable time and effort spent during
>     regular business hours, part of a monitoring or intelligence operation?
>
> (2) For what purpose is the information transferred to the White House used?
>
> (3) Does the White House keep information from these web sites on file,
>     and does the White House keep a file on the persons responsible for
>     these web sites?
>
> (4) Is the April 9 statement by David Lytel of the White House Office of
>     Science and Technology to Amy Bauer of Copley News Service that the
>     administration does not monitor anti-Clinton activity on the web still
>     operative?
>

>     Thank you very much for your cooperation in this matter.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Marvin Lee
> The Washington Weekly
>

> Copyright (c) 1995 The Washington Weekly (http://www.federal.com)

> To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help at anon.penet.fi.
> If you reply to this message, your message WILL be *automatically* anonymized
> and you are allocated an anon id. Read the help file to prevent this.

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame way! I get treated worse in person every day!!