Equinox/cypherpunks/www

James A. Tunnicliffe tunny at Inference.COM
Wed Sep 6 07:49:18 PDT 1995

http://www.cityscape.co.uk/channel4/big_bytes/cybersecrecy/cyber000.html

> - Andy

Thanks for the pointer.  I was reading through their nicely
organized gentle introduction to basic concepts, when I nearly
sprayed coffee all over my monitor from laughing so hard at
the following gaffe:

"...most modern codes rely on the intractable mathematical
problem of 'factorisation'. This is the process of trying to
find the two prime factors that, multiplied together, would
give you a third prime number. [JT: Yes, I'd call that an
intractable problem, all right.] For example, if you take
3337 - a prime number (i.e. a number that has precisely two
divisors) - how would you find its two prime factors? (They
are, in fact, 47 and 71.)"

A little unclear on that "prime" thing, it sounds like... :-)

 - Tunny
James A. Tunnicliffe   | WWWeb: http://www.inference.com/~tunny
Inference Corporation  | PGP Fingerprint:   CA 23 E2 F3 AC 2D 0C 77
tunny at Inference.com    | <--finger for key  36 07 D9 33 3D 32 53 9C