Secure Device 1.4 Question

Deranged Mutant rrothenb at ic.sunysb.edu
Wed Sep 6 02:14:01 PDT 1995

> I just installed Secure Device, v1.4 on a PC at work.  After
> installing it, I looked at the encrypted volume and found the string
> "SECDEV  " starting at the fourth byte of the file.  I'd prefer that
> this file look like some temporary file that got left on the disk by
> a program that didn't clean up properly after itself, and not be
> identifiable as an encrypted volume.

Problems with that:
  1. SecDev needs a way to easily ID it's own files. Encrypting a known
     ID string would be a weakness (known plaintext) so it's better to
     have a plaintext identifyer.

  2. If someone thinks it's a lost TMP file they will delete it. Not a
     risk you want.  It's better if they think it's a strange type of
     swap file or something needed by an application.

[..]

Source is available... so you can change the ID string in source to
something innocuous yet unique and recompile it.

> As you've probably guessed, I'm not supposed to have any personal
> files on my work computer, and an entire encrypted volume would
> undoubtedly make someone go ballistic if they discovered it.  When I
> want to use my encrypted file system, I reboot off of a floppy, and
> all Secure Device programs and drivers are kept on the floppy.  The
> only thing that has to be left on the hard drive is the encrypted
> volume itself.

Well, there's a risk of someone seeing a mysterious file and deleting
it anyway... assuming they don't go ballistic over it anyhow.

There's also a risk of someone peering over your shoulder and noticing
that something's afoot as well, is there not?