Growth of actions definded as crime. Which math formula?

Black Unicorn unicorn at access.digex.net
Tue Sep 5 20:57:27 PDT 1995

On Tue, 5 Sep 1995, Lucky Green wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 20:50:44 -0800
> From: Lucky Green <shamrock at netcom.com>
> To: cypherpunks at toad.com
> Subject: Growth of actions definded as crime. Which math formula?
>
> With every session of Congress, previously legal acts become illegal. Has
> anyone worked out a function of this growth (number of crimes in the books
> vs. time)? I am not looking at the numbers of laws passed, but at
> individual acts that are defined to be illegal. If this has been studied,
> what is the formula? If anyone with access to more appropriate lists could
> please give me a pointer/forward the post there, I'd be grateful.
>
> TIA,
>
> -- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com>
>    PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Really it's hard to answer this because what constitutes a "NEW" act is a
real question in and of itself.

For example, wire fraud.  Is it a "NEW" crime?  Or just a subset of
fraud, or mail fraud?

Carjacking... is that a new offense?  Or just a solidification and
increase of punishment for armed robbery unauthorized use of a motor
vehicle, possession of stolen property, and grand theft auto?

Check forgery now has it's own offense, but is this distinct from forgery?

Most "new offensives" are simply re-classifications of old offenses or
efforts to move them into the federal arena.

I think the conception that entirely new acts are often made illegal
(excepting burning the flag or some such) is an erronious one.

---
00B9289C28DC0E55 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
E16D5378B81E1C96 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!
*New Key Information*    -    Finger for key revocation and latest key update.