Forgery, bills, and the Four Horsemen (Articles and Comment)

Steven Weller stevenw at iglou.com
Tue Sep 5 18:16:49 PDT 1995

>   Black Unicorn posted a very interesting info summary on the
>   subject of foreign state US$$ forgery.
>
>This is a story I heard, long ago, from a Brit, Mr Waterlow,
>about something that happened to his grandfather, chairman
>of the Waterlow bank:
>
>Early in this century Portugal didn't print it's own money but
>contracted this job to the Waterlow Bank in England. Some
>skilled conmen succeeded in making the bank beleive they were
>representatives of the Portugeese National Bank. Then they
>ordered a huge amount of new bills and got away (at least
>for some time) with it.

Tis all in a book: "The Man Who Stole Portugal". I picked it up for about
$2 in a bookstore a few months ago. Very much worth a read. An incredibly
audacious escapade.

Steven Weller                      |  "The Internet, of course, is more
                                   |  than just a place to find pictures
Windsor Consulting Group           |  of people having sex with dogs."
stevenw at iglou.com                  |       -- Time Magazine, 3 July 1995