Phil Zimmermann/Amnesty International?

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Sep 3 00:14:55 PDT 1995

Alan Westrope writes:
> On Fri, 01 Sep 1995, Michael Froomkin <mfroomki at umiami.ir.miami.edu> wrote:
>
> > I think he would have to be charged first.  Have I missed something?
> > PS when does the statute of limitations run out?
>
> June '96.  Zimmermann and Dubois appeared on a local talk radio show
> recently; a friend happened to catch the program, taped it, and played
> excerpts at a Cypherpunks meeting.  This date was mentioned by Phil Dubois.

That's not possible. The offense in question took place on or before
September 8, 1992, and the statute of limitations is, to my knowledge,
three years. Even if it were four years, it would have to be September
8th of that year.  Branko Lankester announced availability of PGP 2.0
on Mon, 7 Sep 1992 at about 20:22 GMT, so since the allegation is that
he exported PGP Version 1.0 to the team that developed PGP 2.0
overseas, any export that Phil performed would have of necessity to
have taken place before then.

Michael, you are one of our local lawyers. Could you please confirm
the length of the statute of limitations?

Perry