A final Huber-Spam: ON MONEY

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Oct 31 15:23:41 PST 1995

Note the URL.

There's more there for them as wants 'em.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 95 21:32:44 0500
From: Robert Hettinga <rah at shipwright.com>
To: rah at shipwright.com
Subject: 031692.html

http://khht.com/huber/forbes/031692.html>
 ON MONEY

> [...]
> needed. Our new mints and engravers can be companies like Visa and
> AT&T, which clear millions of transactions daily, both here and
> abroad.
>
> What enterprises like these supply are the informational ingredients
> of money. They already are far better than Alan Greenspan at
> stabilizing value by assembling baskets of private paper as varied
> and diversified as the global economy. Information about who earned
> a credit yesterday or who can be trusted to pay back a debt tomorrow
> can be passed around as easily as a dollar bill. More easily, in
> fact.
>
> Like religious liturgies conducted in some otherwise dead language,
> transactions may still be denoted in dollars or yen, but these
> vestiges of an earlier age will ultimately give way to a new
> financial vernacular. If everybody paid for everything (wages
> included) by credit card, for example, the accounts could just as
> well be denoted in pork bellies, IBM stock, quarterpounders with
> cheese, or (more likely) some very large basket of hundreds of
> different private goods and services, tangible and intangible.
>
> The Lynch, for example, might be a share in a standard pool of
> commodity receipts maintained by Merril Lynch. Nobody would fully
> trust the Lynch, of course, even if backed by 100% reserves, but
> nobody would have to. Nobody trusts his food supply to any one
> farmer, either. You diversify, you assemble baskets of baskets, and
> you constantly search for quality goods and reliable supply. Same
> with money. When the network and the computers behind it are
> powerful enough, no central authority can or should supply the
> currency, and no one will pay annual tribute by way of inflation to
> the government mint. And with private money, private fortunes will
> no longer be held hostage to public ineptitude in the Kremlin or on
> Capitol Hill.
>
> So back to Yeltsin and how we can help him. Despite the corrupting
> influences of the regulatory collectivist on our own shore,
> America's phone companies and banks are still the best in the world.
> Yeltsin needs them, far more than he needs the International
> Monetary Fund, Pizza Hut or Western investment in Russia's oil
> industry. Modern telefinancial enterprises can deliver the real oil
> of the economy: truly stable media of exchange.
>
> The biggest contribution Yeltsin can make to Russia's fiscal policy
> is to make way for currency capitalists. No exchange controls, no
> bank insurance, no loan guarantees, no criminal prosecution for
> ordinary bankruptcy, nothing but basic, narrowly interpreted laws
> against outright fraud.
>
> Will the new private banks sometimes fail? Of course they will. Will
> widows then be ruined? Certainly. So what else is new? In Russia
> today the only bank in town has failed miserably, and the one cold
> comfort for widows is that the ruin is universal. Give it a try,
> Boris. You have nothing to lose but your rubles.

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com)
Shipwright Development Corporation, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131
USA (617) 323-7923
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell