Using Holographic Memory Crystals for Encryption

Aleph One aleph1 at dfw.net
Mon Oct 30 23:58:12 PST 1995

*WARNING*
I have not idea about what Iam about to talk.
This is a midnight rant. Take it as it is.
*WARNING*

I just finished reading the article on Holographic Memories on the latest
Scientific America by Demetri Psaltis and Fai Mok. At the end they
mention that "Given a hologram, either one of the two beams that
interfered to create it can be used to reconstruct the other. What this
means, in a holographic memory, is that it is possible not only to orient
a reference beam into the crystal at a certain angle to select an
individual holographic page but also to accomplish the reverse.
Illuminating a crystal with one of the stored images gives rise to an
approximation of the associated reference beam, reproduced as a plane
wave emanating from the crystal at the appropriate angle."

	I was thinking this is simply a kind of XOR here given one image
you can obtain the other. No this convined with the fact that you need
to know the right angle could make for some interesting stuff. You could
make a system where you give it the initial angle and password which is
illuminated into the cristal to reveal the encoded data add to this some
feadback mechanism where the angle changes depending on some function of
the data and things get interesting.

	Its late and Iam tired. But if anyone has any ideas I woulkd love
to heard them. Good nite.

Aleph One / aleph1 at dfw.net
http://underground.org/
KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01