[noise] Re: Quebec Libre

s1113645 at tesla.cc.uottawa.ca s1113645 at tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Sun Oct 29 17:19:02 PST 1995

On Sun, 29 Oct 1995, J. Kent Hastings wrote:

> -- [ From: J. Kent Hastings * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
> Cpunx, especially offshore banking "fonts of wisdom,"
> A friend asks:
> > Concerning Quebec Libre, I would love to establish residence there before
> the
> > separation (not necessarily physical residence). Have these fonts of
> wisdom
> > on St. Louis and Anguilla banking anything on getting Quebec residency,
> mail
> > services, and bank accounts?
>
> Any plans if Quebec secedes?
Canada has a tax treaty with the States. Quebec wants to US permission
to stay within NAFTA (and the States have already stated this will not be
automatic). Similarly the PQ also wants to stay within other Canadian
international treaties.

I really don't see a separate Quebec becoming even a semblance of a tax
haven or being  a hint less friendly to US interests than it is now.
We also have very high tax rates (and a bigger debt per cap) up here,
Quebec's being the worst of all. I do remind you that Canada (french or
english) is practically a political extension of the States.