HTTP Request-Header & Server Environment Echoes

Richard Johnson Richard.Johnson at Colorado.EDU
Thu Oct 26 09:19:31 PDT 1995

<HTML>
<HEAD>
    <TITLE>What Your Browser Says Behind Your Back</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<PRE><TT>

The

    what your browser told me about you when you weren't looking

echo CGI at UIUC mentioned on cypherpunks (http://www.hks.net/cpunks/
cpunks-9/0095.html) in Nov. 1994 seems to be down for the count (it was
http://www.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/printenv )).  It would provide you with a page
showing the information your browser had given to the server in the HTTP
Request-Header.

However, others exist to take up the slack. Here's a directory I compiled
today (thanks to WWWW, Lycos, etc.) of current, working HTTP
Request-Header and resulting server environment variable echoes. I'm sure
I've missed some, if not many. Follow up with additions, if you want.
Better yet, add these and the additions to your favorite privacy and
security pages.

HTTP Request-Header Echoes

Machine Information at MIT (http://www.mit.edu:8001/machine)
    Feeds back your machine name, IP address, and finger info.  Not really
    a request-header echo at all, but useful.

Echo at TU-Berlin (http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/sui/eserte/cgi-rcs/home/
eserte/.public_html/index.html
    Raw text echo of your HTTP request-header info.

Echo by Pierre Omidyar at best.com (http://www.best.com/~pierre/printenv.
cgi) and at ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com/printenv.cgi)
    Two paths for reaching the same CGI script. Produces nicely formatted
    HTML output showing your HTTP request-header info. Simple perl source
    for the script is available from Pierre's Web Tips (http://www.best.
    com/~pierre/web-authoring.html) page.

Echo by mjd at cis.upenn.edu (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/cgi-bin/mjd/
printenv)
    Produces formatted HTML echo of your HTTP request-header info.

Echo at hyperreal.com (http://www.hyperreal.com/cgi-bin/printenv)
    Produces plaintext HTML echo of your HTTP request-header info.

Echo at Whithead Institute--MIT (http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/WWW/
examples/Ch9/printenv.pl
    Produces formatted HTML echo of your HTTP request-header info. Simple
    perl source for this script is available in the Chapter 9 script
    examples (http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/WWW/examples/Ch9/) from
    Lincoln Stein (http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/~lstein/)'s book, How to
    Set Up And Maintain a World Wide Web Site (http://www-genome.wi.mit.
    edu/WWW/).

Echo by cloos at io.com (http://www.io.com/cgi-user/cloos/environment)
    Raw text echo of your HTTP request-header info. Also provides a whole
    bunch more, including the script's runtime environment.

And now, again in the original HTML:

</TT></PRE><BR>
The
<P><CENTER><STRONG><EM>what your browser told me about you when you weren't looking</EM></STRONG></CENTER>
<P>echo CGI at UIUC <A HREF="http://www.hks.net/cpunks/cpunks-9/0095.html">mentioned
on cypherpunks</A> in Nov. 1994 seems to be down for the count (it was http://www.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/printenv).
It would provide you with a page showing the information your browser had
given to the server in the HTTP Request-Header.<BR>
<BR>
However, others exist to take up the slack. Here's a directory I compiled
today (thanks to WWWW, Lycos, etc.) of current, working HTTP Request-Header
and resulting server environment variable echoes. I'm sure I've missed some,
if not many. Follow up with additions, if you want. Better yet, add these
and the additions to your favorite privacy and security pages.<BR>
<H3>HTTP Request-Header Echoes</H3>
<DL>
<DT>Machine Information at MIT
<DD>Feeds back your machine name, IP address, and finger info. Not really
a request-header echo at all, but useful.
<DT><A HREF="http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/sui/eserte/cgi-rcs/home/eserte/.public_html/index.html">Echo
at TU-Berlin</A>
<DD>Raw text echo of your HTTP request-header info.
<DT><A HREF="http://www.best.com/~pierre/printenv.cgi">Echo by Pierre Omidyar
at best.com</A> and at ebay.com
<DD>Two paths for reaching the same CGI script. Produces nicely formatted
HTML output showing your HTTP request-header info. Simple perl source for
the script is available from <A HREF="http://www.best.com/~pierre/web-authoring.html">Pierre's
Web Tips</A> page.
<DT><A HREF="http://www.cis.upenn.edu/cgi-bin/mjd/printenv">Echo by mjd
at cis.upenn.edu</A>
<DD>Produces formatted HTML echo of your HTTP request-header info.
<DT>Echo at hyperreal.com
<DD>Produces plaintext HTML echo of your HTTP request-header info.
<DT><A HREF="http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/WWW/examples/Ch9/printenv.pl">Echo
at Whithead Institute--MIT</A>
<DD>Produces formatted HTML echo of your HTTP request-header info. Simple
perl source for this script is available in the <A HREF="http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/WWW/examples/Ch9/">Chapter
9 script examples</A> from <A HREF="http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/~lstein/">Lincoln
Stein</A>'s book, <CITE><A HREF="http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/WWW/">How
to Set Up And Maintain a World Wide Web Site</A></CITE>.
<DT><A HREF="http://www.io.com/cgi-user/cloos/environment">Echo by cloos
at io.com</A>
<DD>Raw text echo of your HTTP request-header info. Also provides a whole
bunch more, including the <EM>script's</EM> runtime environment.
</DL>
</BODY>
</HTML>