Mandatory ID in California?

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Wed Oct 25 09:20:01 PDT 1995

At 08:45 AM 10/25/95 -0700, Ian Goldberg wrote:

>"The officer, in accordance with police policy, arrested Burton
>for refusing to properly identify himself."
><snip>
>
>That last sentence seemed ominous to me...

This has been chatted about for years.  Under California law, failure to
identify yourself is a minor violation.  They always dismiss the next day at
your hearing.  You don't have to carry ID, you just have to identify
yourself (there's a difference).  "my name Jose Jimenez."  You still don't
need ID unless you are operating a motor vehicle on public streets and roads
(or maybe catching a plane).

DCF

"The average seasoned citizen pays a higher percentage of his income for
medical expenses today than he did in 1964 before the passage of Medicaid."