Undeliverable Message

MAILER-DAEMON at usmc.mil MAILER-DAEMON at usmc.mil
Sun Oct 15 19:23:16 PDT 1995

To:            <cypherpunks at toad.com>
Cc:            <remailer-operators at c2.org>
Subject:       Re: PA Remailer Concerns

Message not delivered to recipients below.  Press F1 for help with VNM
error codes.

	VNM3043:  CPL JASON P JONES at IRM711@MCLB Albany

VNM3043 -- MAILBOX IS FULL.

   The message cannot be delivered because the
   recipient's mailbox contains the maximum number of
   messages, as set by the system administrator.  The
   recipient must delete some messages before any
   other messages can be delivered.

   The default limit is 1000 messages.  Administrators
   can set lower limits if required using the Change
   mailbox settings function available in the Manage
   User menu (MUSER).  The 1000 message limit is the
   maximum allowed by the Mail program.  If this limit
   is reached, the recipient must delete some of
   the messages before the mailbox can accept any more
   incoming messages.

----------------------  Original Message Follows  ----------------------[I'm sending this to the cypherpunks and remailer-operators lists. Replies
are directed to c'punks, just to avoid crossposting followups, but I read
both lists. -Futplex]

Mark writes:
[re: a new Pennsylvania law]
> More likely the law will be used when a remailer operator wont play ball with
> the local LEA and surrender any existing logs. Then the LEA can simply throw
> the operator into a court under this legislation.
>
> If (when?) something serious is perpetrated and planned using a remailer then
> they will have the motivation to shut them down.

I would very much like to see this law tested. I think it could prove fairly
important to attack it with a well-planned, benign test case rather than wait
for the next National Liberation spam or a death threat.

I don't live in PA, but I would be willing to participate as the defendant in
a test case under the right circumstances. Presumably I would open an
account with an ISP in Penna., set up a remailer on the account (need to find
an ISP that clearly allows that), and have somebody send a message through it.

We would need to design a promising test case and find an attorney willing &
able to offer pro bono services.

Any comments or suggestions, esp. from legal types (who of course are not
offering formal legal advice to anyone :) ?  Is this realistic ?  What would
it take to elicit a prosecution for such a test case ?

-Futplex <futplex at pseudonym.com>