Anguilla Cypherpunks Meeting

Tim Philp bplib at wat.hookup.net
Fri Oct 13 18:22:04 PDT 1995

As a Canadian, I am often astounded by the attempts of the United States
government to apply American law extraterritorially. A case in point is
the trade embargo with Cuba. Canada does not recognize this embargo and
trades freely with Cuba. Several American corporations faced legal
sanction in the U.S. for the actions of their Canadian subsiduries. I
don't remember the details but can get references if anyone requires it.
ITAR regulations may be enforced by the U.S. government on the parent
corporations if history is any judge.
In any case, these regulations are impeding standards development and the
use of secure cryptography for commerce on the internet. As for key
escrow and and other schemes to dilute security, no foreign company is
going to use such 'bastardized' products, knowing that the U.S.
government may be listening in. Especially since your president is
talking about commercial spying.
Regards,

Tim Philp
Brantford, Ontario