Exporting Mental States

Brad Shantz bshantz at nwlink.com
Fri Oct 13 13:33:36 PDT 1995

I just arrived in Ottawa, Canada from Seattle, USA.  I had sort of
thought through exactly what Tim just described.  I had a little
notebook with me and was doing some calculations and design of a
fractal compression algorithm.  I started to think about El-Gamal and
decided to look at elliptical curve algorithms.  So, I pulled out my
copy of Applied Crypto to look up some things and started writing
things down. (BTW: I had Applied Crypto with me for recreational
reading on the plane, I don't normally carry it everywhere I go.)

Anyway, i got to customs in Ottawa, and they asked me if I had
anything to declare.  I immediately thought, "Should I tell them
about the notebook?"  I decided against it.  How does export of
intellectual property work?

The other question they asked me was "Do you have any eggs?"  I
started giggling.  **SARCASM ON** I always carry an egg around in my
inside coat pocket.  Who knows when you might need one, especially
when in a foreign country. **SARCASM OFF**  I don't know, I guess the
question just struck me as funny.

Brad Shantz
TRISource (formerly TriLogic) Windows Development Services