Man in the Middle Revisited (but not for the last time)

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Wed Oct 11 07:44:35 PDT 1995

At 12:38 AM 10/11/95 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>Nope. au contraire, negatory. I *do not* care if the entity calling itself
>"Hal Finney" is being surrounded by an MITM. Only "Hal Finney the Key" can
>read messages I encrypt to the public key I got from him long ago, so if
>the "Hal + MITM" can do so, they are effectively one and the same.

Not a new problem BTW as in the old joke:  "The Iliad wasn't written by
Homer but by another guy of the same name."

For the non-classically inclined, this is a joke because we don't really
know anything about Homer anyway.  Maybe he was a blind poet.  Maybe he
never existed.

DCF

"Who wonders why his local B&N StuporStore has 1/2 of one section of one
shelf unit dedicated to classics and shelf unit upon shelf unit dedicated to
the gender-disabled, to women, to native americans, to new age mysticism,
and other garbage.  Particularly since those interest areas represent the
losers.  Who's interested in losers?  (We know they're losers BTW because
we're *reading* about them in a capitalist store.  If they'd won there'd be
no reading and no store."