Elementrix POTP

Jim Ray liberty at gate.net
Wed Oct 11 01:37:03 PDT 1995

Hello again cypherpunks:

Sorry to continue "beating a dead horse" here, but I forwarded a few
C-punks' messages regarding the Elementrix "Power One-Time Pad" to
this person, and I thought you might be interested in her (somewhat
cryptic <g>) response.

Forwarded message follows:
>Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 20:34:53 +0200
>From: Maia Aron <maia at elementrix.co.il>
>To: liberty at gate.net
>Subject: Re: POTP
>

>Hi, it took me a little while to respond; we've been getting a lot of
>inquiries following the Interop show.
>
>The short answer is: everything that people are guessing we are, including
>the guesses mentioned in the cypherpunks info you attached, is not what we
>are. I.e., it's not an autokey cipher, it's not like DES, there is no way
>to track relationships between yesterday's and today's ciphertexts. The
>encryption is not done by using an encryption algorithm.
>
> Unfortunately, and we really mean unfortunately, we can only reveal what
>"it is" to people who agree to a non-disclosure arrangement while we're
>patent pending. Otherwise we would have no problem revealing the whole
>method. So far, every international expert who has reviewed the method
>agrees (after many, many hours and days of trying to find holes) that POTP
>really does what we say it does.
>
>You can share this with whomever you'd like. Sorry I can't say much more.
>

>Regards,
>
>Maia Aron
>Vice President, Marketing
>Elementrix Technologies Inc.
>850 Third Avenue
>New York, NY 10022
>
>phone: 212-888-8879
>fax:   212-935-3882
>email: maia at elementrix.co.il
End of forwarded message.

So, I guess we know what they *aren't*, but not what they *are*...Is
this the first example (in modern history) of encryption that's *not*
done by using an encryption algorithm, or am I just missing something?
JMR

Regards, Jim Ray

Ray's Corolary to Murphy's Law:
"You will be spared _NOTHING_." -- Peter C. Ray [my dad].
PGP key Fingerprint  51 5D A2 C3 92 2C 56 BE  53 2D 9C A1 B3 50 C9 C8
Key id. #  E9BD6D35  James Milton Ray   <liberty at gate.net>  IANAL
Help Phil! email zldf at clark.net or see http://www.netresponse.com/zldf