Making it more difficult to forge cancels (was: Re: FORGED CANCELS of posts on n.a.n-a.m)

Dr. Dimitri Vulis dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Mon Oct 9 22:44:47 PDT 1995

In article <4571p9$kf5 at kruuna.helsinki.fi>, wirzeniu at cc.Helsinki.FI (Lars Wirzenius) writes:
>dlv at bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis) suggests that cancels be authenticated
>so that only the actual poster could cancel them.  He notes that this
>would make it impossible for moderators to cancel forgeries, but says
>they could use NoCeM notices instead.
>
>Speaking as the moderator of comp.os.linux.announce: No way!
>
>NoCeM doesn't work, since most people have never even heard of it.
[Valid criticisms of NoCeM skipped]
>(Approval forging can fairly easily be made very difficult: the moderator
>digitally signs the articles, and all major news servers are fixed to
>drop all other articles on the floor.  The problems with this approach
>are that on the one hand, upgrading a lot of news servers to the new
>software is a bit of work, and on the other hand, even digital signatures
>may be, or become illegal in parts of the world.  But that just might
>be a reason to implement it now.  There's work being done on it, as a
>matter of fact.)

Sorry for the belated follow-up -- I was far away, and now have a backlog to
sort out.

I've discussed the Hujskonen-Franz proposal some time ago with the beautiful
Simona Nass from Panix and the Society for Electronic Access, and she made the
following suggestion: let each party that wants to be able to authorize cancels
add their own separate Cancel-lock: headers. The cancel/supersede should be
honored if its Cancel-key header matches any one of the Cancel-lock challenges.

I think adding multiple Cancel-lock: headers, any single one of which needs to
be matched, to the Hujskonen-Franz proposal will address _some of the concerns
expressed by Bill Stewart last week, by Lars Wirzenius, and by CancelMoose
him/herself in http://www.cm.org/about-cancels.html about the ability of
moderators to cancel postings in their own newsgroups.

Scenario 1.

Alice posts an article from a computer owned by Bob, an Internet provider.
Bob wants to reserve the right to cancel Alice's account and Alice's Usenet
postings without Alice's permission if Alice misbehaves (e.g., spams).

Alice posts: