java security concerns

Chuck McManis cmcmanis at scndprsn.Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Oct 9 17:29:54 PDT 1995

>Sendmail is about 29K lines of C code -- not significantly larger by
>my standards -- and has proven nearly impossible to secure.

Good point.

>Sendmail performs a much simpler task and has not proven secure.

I don't necessarily agree. The core java interpreter is simply:
	while (1) {
		get_next_opcode
		switch(x) {
		}
	}

> ... Marcus Ranum has noted that you can't
>trust a program thats bigger than a couple of pages long, and I
>believe he's right.

Its a useful metric. But the concept of trust isn't defined. If
you write in pure Java code (that is no references to any native
methods) we should be able to do much better than that.

And since Java doesn't have "programs" it just has "classes" and
many of those fit on two pages where does that leave us? Would it
be reasonable to say that if I want to write a Java class I trust
I should keep it under two pages? If I then write another class
that uses that class, that is also under two pages have I met
the requirement? Can this aggreagate four page Java class be trusted?

>As an aside, have you tried breaking your own program? Spend a week on
>it some time. Its usually an educational experience and it breaks you
>out of the mindset you have fixed in for a while.

Many times.

>As people have found out, it has proven possible to core dump the Java
>interpreter. That means that your implementation has contained flaws
>that potentially permitted people to do unplanned things to the state
>of the interpreter.

I agree.

>By the way, I suggest that Sun should offer a large money prize for
>the first significant security hole found the Java implementation. Its
>a tiny price to pay for security.

I don't think the lawyers would let us.

Would anyone be interested in a Java daemon that one could send arbitrary
classes to in an attempt to subvert the runtime? I once thought this would
be a good way to give safe exposure to the system in general. You know sort
of "here's a program that can feed classes to a Java runtime on a system
which is known to have a file X on it. Try to return the contents of X."

It probably wouldn't be to useful beyond that, and it would only validate
the classes you have access to, not necessarily the full set in a release.
(hence my not doing it given its utility only in testing the core runtime)

--Chuck