Java

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Oct 8 20:25:57 PDT 1995

Ray Cromwell writes:
>   Well those concerns are all fine and swell, but the same kind
> of reasoning applies to any network application. There are buffer overflow
> bugs in almost every web browser, there are overflow bugs in CERN HTTPD3.0,
> and who knows, there are probably bugs in ELM/PINE.

I believe that the security related ones in those applications are
well within human ability to fix -- simply implementing some hygenic
coding practices stops them. I don't believe that is the case with
Java implementations. I don't know how I'd manage to produce a "safe"
Java. Its a neat programming language, by the way -- its only when you
rig yourself to automatically run code produce by hostile people that
the issue comes up.

>   And the situation without Java is not much better. Most of Java
> functionality is faked with CGI scripts, usually written in perl,
> and there are plenty of ways to screw up a CGI implementation to allow
> holes.

Thats true, but again, there is the alternative of gaining the
functionality with truly safe languages.

>   Java is mostly a risk to consumers (the users with the browsers), and
> not corporate networks who are running servers, *unless* the employees
> are using Java on the firewalled network.

Unfortunately, it will be very hard to stop people from doing just
that.

Perry