NEW Netscape RNG hole

RingZero an402976 at anon.penet.fi
Sun Oct 8 14:45:48 PDT 1995

Phil argues this file handle being lost isn't a big mistake.
He describes how the function is actually called, which
does indeed show that it shouldn't be much of a problem.
However, Netscape had not revealed enough information about
their RNG to allow myself or other reviewers to determine how
critical it was. If, for example, this seeding function were
called once every time a secure connection were established,
losing a handle would be a major problem.

This seems like a good reason to ask for the code for
SEC_RandomUpdate(). You show us from what sources you gather bits,
but you don't show us how you mix them or, for that matter,
stream out "random" bits.

If you did have a description in your original published code
that was better than "mixing is accomplished with MD5", I
must've missed it.

RingZero