C2 Evaluation of Win NT (was: Hack Microsoft?)

Futplex futplex at pseudonym.com
Mon Oct 2 01:11:28 PDT 1995

Ray writes:
>    Microsoft recently got C2-security status approved for Windows NT by
> the National Computer Security Center, a division of the NSA.

Do you have a pointer to a source for this information ?  I've been searching
through NCSC Orange Book stuff and M$'s web server, to no avail.
http://www.microsoft.com/BackOffice/techbriefs/tech4000.htm, the Win NT Server
3.5 Technology Brief, only says that NT was in the final evaluation phase as
of June 1995.

I haven't been able to find on-line copies of any NCSC Product Evaluation
Bulletins, or a current Evaluated Products List. The closest I've seen is
http://www.itd.nrl.navy.mil:80/ITD/5540/xtp1/epl.html, which lists items
evaluated or under evaluation, at the A and B levels.

The status of NT's evaluation for C2 is a recurrent topic on the firewalls
list, so I'm surprised I haven't seen the final approval mentioned there.

-Futplex <futplex at pseudonym.com>