Netscape and privacy

Michael Froomkin froomkin at law.miami.edu
Sun Oct 1 18:46:29 PDT 1995

With all respect to you and to Netscape (I am one who thinks that the
Netscape participation on this list has reflected very well on the
participants and the company), I think that the reply "we only collect IP
addresses" is not fully responsive to the issue.  While I recognize that
there are implementations that assign a new IP address to every login, I
understand the current norm to be static IP addresses.  I sure have one.
Thus, if you keep a file of my IP address, and a fact about that address,
you have a database that can be purchased and correllated with another DB,
which links IP to somehting else, eg telephone numbers (perhaps from a
contest run on the internet?).  Pretty soon we are at serious
profiling....

****   PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS: froomkin at law.miami.edu  *********

A. Michael Froomkin        | +1 (305) 284-4285; +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)
Associate Professor of Law |
U. Miami School of Law     | froomkin at law.miami.edu
P.O. Box 248087            | http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin
Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA | New address, but it's still just as hot here.