Getting a copy of the Jim Clark speech

Ed Carp ecarp at netcom.com
Thu Nov 30 23:43:46 PST 1995

> Date:          Thu, 30 Nov 1995 21:43:57 -0600 (CST)
> From:          Frank Stuart <fstuart at vetmed.auburn.edu>
> To:            loki at obscura.com, cypherpunks at toad.com
> Subject:       Re: Getting a copy of the Jim Clark speech

> >If he has not clarified his position by tomorrow evening, I will set up some
> >web pages explaining the situation and decrying Netscape's apparent
> >position on key escrow (GAK). I have the quotes that L. McCarthy posted,
> >and Jeff Weinstein's response. I have not been able to get the article off
> >the server yet (possible all the cypherpunks downloading it?). Any other
> >documents I should include?
>
> I'm working on an "obnoxify" program to convert normal html documents into
> documents that look normal to non-netscape browsers, but are too painful to
> read with netscape (</BLINK>, <FONT SIZE=1>, etc.).  I think tomorrow evening
> would be a good time to decide whether or not to distribute it.

The only problem with this approach is that this will bite other
browsers that have started supporting the so-called "Netscape
extensions".  More than one person has coded the Netscape stuff into
their pages because it gives the author more flexibility than the
standard 1.0/2.0 standards.  And there aren't many browsers out there
yet that support 3.0.