Q: Legal liability for Certification Authority

Greg Rose Greg_Rose at sydney.sterling.com
Thu Nov 30 17:16:30 PST 1995

In the last few weeks, mostly under the subject of
creating a Cypherpunks Certification Authority,
someone mentioned legal liability of a CA if a
certified identity was misused.

I am looking for material to pass on to a REAL,
PAID net-savvy lawyer relating to this question.
In return for the money we pay him, he will
return an opinion on just what liability exposure
would be for, say, a large technical users group
who got into the CA business for PGP keys. And/or
what disclaimers or indemnities would be needed.

I would be happy to make his legal opinion
available to the list. IANAL, so I don't know just
what precedents, decisions, regulations, and so on
might be relevent. More information is always a
good thing.

Please:

1. reply to me by mail, not the list, unless there
is more general relevence to Cypherpunks. I'll
summarise.

2. Speculation is not useful.

thanks,
Greg.

Greg Rose               INTERNET: greg_rose at sydney.sterling.com
Sterling Software       VOICE:  +61-2-9975 4777    FAX:  +61-2-9975 2921
28 Rodborough Rd.       http://www.sydney.sterling.com:8080/~ggr/
French's Forest         35 0A 79 7D 5E 21 8D 47  E3 53 75 66 AC FB D9 45
NSW 2086 Australia.     co-mod sci.crypt.research, USENIX Director.