Netscape gives in to key escrow

Corey Bridges corey at netscape.com
Thu Nov 30 15:33:08 PST 1995

Speaking for me and not Netscape:

I am not in favor of governmental key escrow. Getting that news yesterday
made for the worst day I've had in a while.

However, I think that history will look back on this period and snicker.
"They thought they could pull off key escrow? Yeah, right." I think that
things are going to get pretty ugly over the next few years, but ultimately,
it's too late. The genie's out of the bottle.

I'm not going to say "Don't give up on Netscape." Do what you feel you should.

*I'm* not giving up on Netscape, however. We haven't adopted this as a
company position, and besides, I think I can do more good on the inside than
on the outside.

In a related matter, there was talk a couple days back about creating a PGP
plug-in for Netscape Navigator. I've actually been thinking about that for a
couple months, but I make a much better writer than a programmer. (And if
you've ever read any of my books, keep your jokes to yourself.) Anyway, if
people out there are interested in doing the real work on such a product,
I'd be more than willing to help with the documentation, UI, and other
things where I have a modicum of talent. I'd also put a copy of it on my
home page and hype it internally.

In an unofficial capacity, natch.

Corey Bridges
Security Documentation Manager