Mbone seminar 21st Nov 16:15UTC: FIREWALLS AS A NETWORK SECURITY TOOL

Piete Brooks Piete.Brooks at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 17 09:45:50 PST 1995

Executive summary
=================

Any non UK site interested in seeing an MBone transmitted seminar on 21st
November at 16:15 UTC entitled "FIREWALLS AS A NETWORK SECURITY TOOL" should
contact me to get the IP address and TTL changed.

Plug, caveat, etc
=================

To enable "lone" security reseachers (i.e. not enough people in the dept to
have regular Security Seminars) in the UK to "keep in touch", we transmit our
departmental Security Seminars on the MBone each week, with a low TTL and
administratively scoped to the UK (so we don't have to worry about clashing
with other events. The AC.UK MBone is fully pruning, and typically has spare
bandwidth).
These are not big formal events, but typically have a dozen or two members of
the department and other "locals" present.
The termly program is available on the Web in http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Seminars
under "Security seminars" [ That way you can see our more formal "Departmental
Seminars" listing at the same time :-) ]
It's run as a "DIY" service (i.e. members of the group set things up) so
things may go amiss. However, if they do (or there are time zone problems) it
is fairly simple to retransmit later (during UK office'ish hours -- unless
someone has some magic to start up vat and vic or nv without using X) from the
tape we make ...

Full details
============

As Firewalls are of interest to both these lists (sorry for cross posting!) I
thought I might take this oportunity to draw your attention to this particular
seminar. See http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk:80/Seminars/mbone.html for the latest
info (e.g. slides will appear when I get them), but here is the announcement
(roughly) as I received it:

                       ***   ***   ***   ***   ***

                  University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory

                            SECURITY SEMINAR SERIES

SPEAKER:	Alec Muffett, Sun Microsystems
DATE:		Tuesday 21st November at 4.15pm
PLACE:		Room TP4, Computer Laboratory
TITLE:		FIREWALLS AS A NETWORK SECURITY TOOL

The "Firewall" - taking the (quite broad) definition of a firewall's
being any device designed (in some manner) to restrict "soft" access
to a network - has migrated from being a tool of the paranoid systems
administrator, into being a standard part of modern network
infrastructures.

This seminar will review why this situation has come about, what
modern firewall architectures (both basic and advanced) look like,
examine what they can/cannot accomplish, and will speculate upon the
future potential of firewalls as access-security devices.

As noted above, by default these are normally restricted to UK MBone sites,
so let me know in advance (the M/C IP address changes !) if it wanted further
afield.