Java security (reposted from RISKS)

Steven Weller stevenw at best.com
Tue Nov 14 03:20:18 PST 1995

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 15:45:00 -0800
From: Marianne.Mueller at eng.sun.com (Marianne Mueller)
Subject: regarding Java security

This response was recently posted to comp.lang.java.
Marianne Mueller <mrm at eng.sun.com>, Java Products Group, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Article 4356 of comp.lang.java:
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java
Subject: Re: PRINCETON STUDENTS FIND HOLE IN INTERNET SECURITY SOFTWARE
Date: 9 Nov 1995 00:50:27 GMT

The paper written by the two students at Princeton describes possible
attacks on the alpha3 HotJava browser, which have all been fixed in JDK
beta.  Granted, until this week, the source code for JDK beta wasn't
available, so it's understandable that they analyzed the alpha3 source base.

We understand people need more information on the security model, and we're
taking time right now to document the security story more rigorously.  A
security FAQ, an updated whitepaper, detailed user documentation and
detailed implementor's documentation are all being worked on.

The Java security mechanisms include:

        Java language mechanisms

          * no pointers
          * private interfaces, classes and methods
          * class loader that enforces namespace divisions
          * runtime byte code verifier that enforces language
            type rules and name space divisions

        Browser mechanisms, used by JDK beta appletviewer and by
        Netscape Navigator 2.0beta

          * AppletSecurity: extends java.lang.SecurityManager; strict
            applet checks
          * AppletClassLoader: extends java.lang.ClassLoader; strict
            class loading

The goal for JDK beta is to enable browsers to run untrusted applets
in a trusted environment.  The approach is to be conservative at
first, and to add functionality when it can be added securely.

So, JDK beta applets (and Netscape 2.0beta applets) may not do the
following.

  1.  Files:

        Access Control Lists are greatly restricted in beta,
        as compared to the situation in the alpha3 HotJava browser.
        ACLs are initialized - only once - by the applet security
        manager, and are not user configurable.

        For a file not on the access control list, an applet cannot

        - check for the existence of the file
        - read the file
        - write the file
        - check the file type
        - check if the file is a directory
        - check the timestamp when the file was last modified
        - check the file's size
        - create a directory
        - rename the file
        - list the files in this file (as if it were a directory)

        Applets cannot

        - create a FileInputStream
        - create a RandomAccessFile, either for reading or writing
        - Open file descriptors

  2.  Sockets:

        Applets cannot

        - Create socket connections other than to its own host
        - Create a socket factory

        Applets cannot

        - Create class loaders
        - Access a package in the sun.* hierarchy
        - Define a new class in the java.* hierarchy
        - Link dynamic libraries using System.loadLibrary()
        - Disable or override the AppletSecurityManager

  4.  Process control:

        Applets cannot

        - Define native methods
        - Fork processes
        - Manipulate threads or thread groups outside of the
          applet's thread group
        - Exit the virtual machine (e.g., the browser or the appletviewer)

  5.  awt:

        Applets cannot

        - Create toplevel windows that don't have a warning banner

Applets can use network connections only to connect to the host they
originate from, to download files that are part of the applet's
implementation.  Those files might be java bytecode class files, or they
might be input files used by the applet (GIF, JPEG, audio, other data
files.)

Taking a look at the specific attacks mentioned in the paper -

        alpha3 HotJava                  JDK
        ----------------------          ---

1.      socket accept() and             applets cannot use
        listen() aren't protected       accept() and listen()
        adequately, allowing a
        browser to eavesdrop

2.      applets can connect to          applets cannot connect
        the SMTP (mail) port on         to the SMTP port on
        some web server and use         the computer the applet
        that as a covert channel        is visiting

3.      InetAddress.getByName()         applets cannot use
        is public and does not          InetAddress to inquire
        check the security mode         about hosts they are
        before making DNS request       not already allowed to
                                        connect to

4.      applets can use DNS to          applets may not get the
        create a covert channel         internet address of any
                                        host

5.      Access Control Lists (ACLs)     ACLs are greatly restricted
        for reading and writing         in JDK beta.
        files are not strict enough     Reading/writing files is
                                        disabled for web browsers,
                                        such as Netscape Navigator 2.0.

6.      applets can use the             System.getenv() is obsolete
        System.getenv() method          and is not part of the JDK
        to gather information about     API
        the computer that it is
        running on

7.      applets can change the          applets cannot read or alter
        property manager database       client properties

8.      applets can change the          The fields that hold the
        HTTP and FTP proxy server       HTTP and FTP proxy names are
                                        private.  The values are stored
                                        in a property manager database
                                        that an applet cannot read or
                                        write.

It's very difficult, if not impossible, for a web browser to completely
prevent denial of service attacks.  The JDK applet API doesn't claim to
prevent denial of service attacks.  A "denial of service" attack is where
someone writes an applet whose goal is to consume all available resources on
your computer, forcing you to kill the browser you're running.  For example,
someone could write an applet that creates a million pop-up windows.  The
windows don't do anything, but creating a million of them might use up all
the virtual memory on your computer and you'd have to kill the web browser
to reclaim the virtual memory.

Before people engage in too much wailing and gnashing of teeth about
how applets have been too severely restricted -

We want to enable applets to do interesting things, including making
socket connections, and reading and writing to the file system.  One
way to enable that is to used a signed class loader.  When a trusted
applet is loaded, then the applet could be granted permission to do
some of the things they are prevented from doing by default.

The goal is to ensure that untrusted applets can't steal or damage
information on a computer running a Java-enabled browser.  Later, we can
allow trusted applets to do things that untrusted applets are not allowed to
do.  Since an implementation bug in a trusted applet could open a loophole
that could be exploited by an untrusted applet, design matters.

Marianne  Java Products Group  http://java.sun.com/people/mrm/

Steven Weller                      |  "The Internet, of course, is more
+1 415 390 9732                    |  than just a place to find pictures
stevenw at best.com                   |       -- Time Magazine, 3 July 1995