Exporting software doesn't mean exporting (was: Re: lp ?)

Peter D. Junger junger at pdj2-ra.F-REMOTE.CWRU.Edu
Tue Nov 7 05:19:20 PST 1995

Simon Spero writes:

: On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Peter D. Junger wrote:
:
: >
: > Don't blame this on my being a lawyer; blame it on some very sick
: > people in the Office of Defense Trade Controls and in the NSA.
:
: I think it's unfair to call the people at the ODTC and the NSA sick;
: during the cold war, such restrictions did make some sense; in
: particular, controlling the export of high-performance encryption
: hardware does make it harder for other countries to deploy ubiquitous
: strong encryption, particularly in the less developed countries, and
: particulalry for chips that required exotic fabrication (the soviet union
: never had really good mass-production facilities).

The ones I was suggesting are sick are the ones who drafted the
definition of ``export'' and of ``technical data'' in the ITAR.  Would
you consider it more appropriate if I called them perverse?

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
Internet:  junger at pdj2-ra.f-remote.cwru.edu    junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu