Sources of randomness

s1113645 at tesla.cc.uottawa.ca s1113645 at tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Fri Nov 3 20:15:46 PST 1995

On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I'll stick to recommending radioactive sources for now. Quantum
> mechanics is your friend, and detectors from places like Aware are
> cheap.
What prices have you got listed? Is the equipment sensitive enough to get
lots of entropy from a normal environment or do you need artificial sources
of radioactivity? (easy, safe and cheap enough to get?)
Got any clues on random bits vs. time?

Someone said this was discussed before, I caught the thread on the
detector being listed but not any discussion of the product itself. Could
anyone post an approx date so I could go look it up on the archive?
Gracias.
Interesting stuff.