censored? corrected [Steve Pizzo cited in The Spotlight]

Jay Campbell edge at got.net
Fri Nov 3 02:48:43 PST 1995

>	Is it?  This is the _one_ thing in the article (is that term
>giving it too much legitimacy?) that I whought was barely true.  Whoever
>controls the root level DNS servers effectively controls the Internet.
>I postulated a couple of months ago about how the US Govt might attempt
>to censor the rest of the world: "Remove lurid.porno.site.other-country
>from your DNS system within 72 hours or we will remove references to
>your DNS servers from the root level servers.".  (I also speculated that
>if the US Govt tried doing this, that an 'underground' DNS system would
>form almost immediately.)

[off topic]

It almost did when InterNIC announced it's recent (and abrupt) new pricing
structure for domain names. All it would take is an additional entry in
{dns}/root.cache - even a small company with decent VC (and multiple
geographic locations, preferably) could have pulled this off and made a
decent chunk of change underselling InterNIC; with a slight shift in the way
things are done, the model could have been opened up into a competitive
market with price and (GASP!) customer service/response time wars. [FADE IN:
Look, Jim! I submitted my domain through Campbell.NET 30 seconds ago and
it's already live .. That's nothing, Terry, ...]

Yet another 'axiom' that turns out to be nothing more than convention.
--
   Jay Campbell                edge at got.net - Operations Manager
   -=-=-=-=-=-=-               Sense Networking, Santa Cruz Node

"On the Information Superhighway, I'm the guy
  behind you in this morning's traffic jam leaning on his horn."