Ivy Bells, Smersh, and the Rosenbergs

Jon Lasser jlasser at rwd.goucher.edu
Mon Jul 31 09:47:51 PDT 1995

On Mon, 31 Jul 1995, Timothy C. May wrote:

> On the other issue, whether either or both of the Rosenbergs were spies,
> things have settled yet. Sudoplatov, in "Special Tasks," claims they were
> both spies. Others doubt it.
>
> (For you Bond fans, Sudoplatov headed up "Smersh." Russian for "Death to
> spies." Yes, it really existed, unlike, say "U.N.C.L.E.")
>
> On the issue of whether in the 1950s the U.S. government knew the
> Rosenbergs were spies, we have even less information. A trial was held and
> guilty verdict returned, but reasonable folks may disagree. My guess? Yes,
> they were probably spies.

Hmm... the stuff that was from the "one-time pads" that were recently
decrypted says it was fairly certain they were.  So says Kahn. :)

I'm not convinced that there was enough public information available for
a reasonable conviction back in the 50's, but there seems to be now.

> The Rosenbergs were certainly the Mumia Abu Jamals of their day.

The Mumia case (something friends of mine are more than peripherally
acquainted with) seems to be very much in doubt.  Of course, they'll kill
him anyway, probably.  But I suggest reading E.L. Doctrow's essay on the
subject from the NYT of several weeks (months? possibly) back.

Jon
Jon Lasser                <jlasser at rwd.goucher.edu>            (410) 494-3253
          Visit my home page at http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
  You have a friend at the NSA: Big Brother is watching. Finger for PGP key.