building libraries

Alex Tang altitude at CIC.Net
Mon Jul 31 06:48:30 PDT 1995

On Mon Jul 31 01:25:04 1995: you scribbled...

> At 08:40 PM 7/28/95 -0400, Alex Tang wrote:
> >> The answer is to have some non-USA entity build shareable full fledged
> >> full powered crypto libraries and provide them for free for the rest of
> >> the world and for all machines.
> >Wouldn't there still be licensing issues to deal with (in the states at
> >least)??  I'm sure RSA would claim that the package would be in violation
> >of the licensing...
>
> If you did everything in an RSAREF-compatible manner, that would help;
> I think somebody outside the US has written an RSAREF-clone.
> Some problems include building programs that have generic-callout hooks
> instead of crypto-specific hooks (so that they don't get bitten by ITAR),
> while still maintaining reasonable efficiency and convenience.

Yeah, this would work for everyone except commercial institutions within
the states.  They'd have to get a license agreement for RSA.

...alex...

     Alex Tang  altitude at cic.net   http://petrified.cic.net/~altitude
   CICNet: Unix Support / InfoSystems Services / WebMaster / Programmer
       Viz-It!: Software Developer (Check out http://vizit.cic.net)
  UM-ITD: TaX.500 Developer (Check out http://petrified.cic.net/tax500)
Unofficial SSL/HTTPD FAQ: http://petrified.cic.net/~altitude/ssl/ssl.saga.html