PRZ Interview in Infobahn Magazine

Timothy C. May tcmay at sensemedia.net
Sun Jul 30 21:27:55 PDT 1995

Lord, I'm going to get in trouble for writing this message...

(And Phil, if you happen to read Cypherpunks now and read this, understand
the context of my comments...)

At 12:57 AM 7/31/95, K. M. Ellis wrote:
>I generally try to avoid buying anything with the word "Infobahn" on it,
>but in the premiere issue of this new magazine there's a 5-page article
>about Phil Zimmerman written by Jeff Elliot (of the National Review...but
>it's a good article anyway ;).  It's pretty good--if anyone is new to the
>ongoing Zimmerman drama it's a good sum-up.

It may be a good article, but as soon as I saw yet another "personality"
interview with PRZ in the new trendzine "Infobahhn," I put the issue back
on the shelf. (Not just because of the PRZ personality piece, but because
I'm ODd (that's "overdosed" to you younger folks) on "Wired," "Mondo 2000,"
"Access," "Ray Gun," "The Net", and all the slightly more technical
magazines like "MIME World," "Java Times," and "Diffie-Hellman Newsletter"
(yes, these last three items are fictitious).

Just my opinion, but I think the Information Superhypeway is indeed being
over-hyped.

In case you're wondering, I did indeed agree to be photographed for the
cover of "Wired" #2, a few years ago. All I can say is, "I'm sorry."

Bay Aryans can attest to the fact that in the last several months I've
refused to have anything to do with the various hypings and personality
profiles the info rags are so focussed on. I enjoyed talking to Timothy
Leary for a few minutes at a party, but refused to appear on camera with
him in a "Cypherpunks on parade" segment for a Japanese television program.

I'm not condemning those who do interviews--I did a few myself--but I think
there' something to be said for avoiding the "personality profiles" which
so superficially cover the issues.

(At least it's not (yet?) as bad at the media's fascination with Mitnick
and Shimomura....I about barfed to read the tale of "The Hooker and the
Hacker" in the latest "Esquire," the one with Cindy Crawford on the cover.
Then, just today, my younger brother told me he'd been reading about
Mitnick and Shimomura in "Rolling Stone.")

Anyway, flame away with your claims that publicity is good, that the dozens
of PRZ interviews are doing some good.

I'm becoming more of a Zen Buddhist monastic skeptic on these issues every day.

--Tim May, happy to be far from the madding crowd

tcmay at sensemedia.net   | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
408-728-0152           | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
Corralitos, CA         | black markets, collapse of governments.
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.