Java, Netscape, OpenDoc, and Babel

Phil Fraering pgf at tyrell.net
Fri Jul 28 13:07:53 PDT 1995

   Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 10:10:59 -0400
   From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at imsi.com>
   I exagerate only slightly. I don't believe Java to be secure, in spite
   of the claims. Its too complicated, and it operates in an environment
   who's correct operation is required for it to remain secure. Good
   system design says that you want a system's failure mode to produce a
   secure result, but thats not what Java does.

   Perry

How would you make Java secure or create a secure Javalike language?
(Secure to your satisfaction, of course).

I don't even play a security consultant on TV, but would removing hooks
into X-windows (if it has them; I don't know if it does, although Ray
mentioned something about how it could open multiple windows with graphics
in them, I think) be a good start?

What sort of interface does it have to the filesystem? I would guess that
a secure language would have its own filesystem mapped to a file of fixed
size in the normal filesystem, so that it couldn't cause disaster by
filling your hard disk.

Does it have that?

Phil