S/MIME and the Future of Netscape

Robert A. Rosenberg hal9001 at panix.com
Tue Jul 25 21:03:02 PDT 1995

At 11:27 7/24/95, Timothy C. May wrote:
>At 12:54 PM 7/23/95, Bob Snyder wrote:
>>tcmay at sensemedia.net said:
>>> With regard to SSL and Netscape not being open to outside developers,
>>> several leading e-mail outfits, including Qualcomm, Netscape,
>>> Frontier, etc., are working on an interoperable secure e-mail
>>> standard called "Secure/MIME," or "S/MIME."
>>
>>Do you have sources for this information?  MOSS is out there at least as a
>>Internet Draft, and possibly further along, and Steve Dorner of Qualcomm, the
>>original author of Eudora, is pretty active in the MIME community and I doubt
>>he would support a second MIME type to do the same thing...
>
>Some of you have expressed skepticism about the mention of "S/MIME."
[snip]

All MOSS does is designate the MIME Headers/etc to support Encrypting
and/or Signing MIME Parts. It says nothing as to how you do the Encoding or
create Signature - only how to package the two parts into a MIME format
once you have them. Thus S/MIME is/could-be an implementation of MOSS (as
would be a MUA that used the MOSS formats to package a PGP signature or
Encrypted Message).

For those who want to read the docs, just send this message: