big word listing

strick at Jihad strick at yak.net
Tue Jul 25 12:07:59 PDT 1995

% | see if the password is in it.  My question is, are there any pre-built lists of
% | this nature?  I am currently only using a spelling dictoinary, and would like
% | somthing a little bigger.

I made one really easily once with a tiny awk program that read files
and remembered all the words (in a big table, with the old
``table[word]=1'' trick, then iterate the table and print it out).
I probably used 'tr -cd' in front of it to get rid of non-alfa stuff.

I fed it netnews -- especially hierachries with folklore, unix,
rec.all, sex, etc.   And it made a dictionary that cracked several
hundred passwords (from a Major University /etc/passwd) in about 24
hours of SparcStation II time (i think ... this was six years ago).

I remember finding the word 'creat' -- doubtless obtained from the unix
wizards group -- and a whole family of machine-generated accounts whose
password was 'pw'.  I'm not sure these words exist in dictionaries, but
they do in netnews and passwords.

anyway -- it's fun to make your own.

	strick