Why no action alert, coalition opposing S. 974?

Stanton McCandlish mech at eff.org
Mon Jul 24 11:15:58 PDT 1995

> Let's read the bill and get ready for a fight.  We should hold Grassley
> accountable for this next election.  But we're spinning our wheels by
> acting against every bill that affects one of our issues.
>
> -Shabbir

I'd agree with the gist of Shabbir's entire message, except the last
sentence, which I think needs some qualification.  Trying to fight every
useful fight right now *is* counter-productive, because we're not at a
stage yet where any of our organizations, or our coalitional
meta-organization, can handle the load.  And the grassroots activist
infrastructure of the net can't handle it either.  But, that's not the
way it should be.  We need to, and if we all work at it, we will, get to
the state at which we can handle the load, and can fight all the good fights.

Part of what's needed is, frankly, for folks like those reading this
message to take a little time out from endless arguments on newsgroups
and mailing lists, from all the entertainment and fund, and become a
little more politically active so we can preserve the possibility of
having any fun at all.  How many of you are organizing groups like
EF-Houston or VTW or SEA on a local or state basis?  I don't imagine many
virtual hands are raising.  Hop to it folks.  This is no a
one-dimensional fight, it's three dimensional.  You've got lobbying and
national-level policy work being done, but local grassroots organizing
via the net is still in a larval stage, and needs to be advanced. So does
coordinated response to crap journalism and lack of serious coverage of
the issues we find important.  Get in touch if you're interested in
helping start local groups.  I'll keep a geographical list and try to put
fairly close matches in contact with eachother.

--
<A HREF="http://www.eff.org/~mech/">          Stanton McCandlish
</A><HR><A HREF="mailto:mech at eff.org">        mech at eff.org
</A><P><A HREF="http://www.eff.org/">         Electronic Frontier Foundation