Remailers & local newsgroups

L. McCarthy lmccarth at cs.umass.edu
Sun Jul 23 15:14:55 PDT 1995

[cc:ed to remailer-operators; I suggest replies to the latter]

The Checkered Daemon writes:
> Do any of the posting remailers accept the inclusion of regional usenets
> in their active files so that people can use them to post directly to
> regional newsgroups?

Last I heard, Julf generally honors requests for penet.fi to carry additional
groups. If you don't know the contact address of a particular remailer
operator, remailer-operators at c2.org is probably the best place to try to
get in touch with one. (Most c'punk remailers mention an admin/complaints
address in the headers of their remailed messages.)

Many cpunk/mix remailers these days allow newsgroup posting only via mail2news
gateways, so you may need to convince the operator of one of those to add a
group.

In itself, this doesn't necessarily solve your problem, due to the nature of
Usenet news propagation. Briefly, if a site "upstream" of the posting site in
the propagation tree doesn't carry a certain group, then articles posted only
to that group won't make it out to much of the net. The most popular solution
to this predicament is "piggybacking" -- crossposting an article into a well-
propagated group so that it makes it across holes in the lesser-carried
group's propagation. The *.test groups are often used for this, although
you'll irritate plenty of people if you don't set the Followup-To: on your
article out of the test group.

-Futplex <futplex at pseudonym.com>
"Jeux sans frontieres"