Java (was Netscape: the big win)

L. McCarthy lmccarth at cs.umass.edu
Fri Jul 21 19:05:17 PDT 1995

[I've cc:ed this to the Mixmaster development list --Futplex]

Andrew Loewenstern writes:
> If a Mixmaster client were available in Java (and I'm pretty sure it can be
> done) then suddenly everyone who previously could only use the penet server
> can now also use Mixmaster.  With more people using the remailer network,
> all of them with Java clients, the possibility of for-pay remailers could
> become reality (no promises that you'll get rich though).

Ed Carp writes:
# The problem, Java only runs on a pretty restricted set of software.  I
# don't have to be running Solaris to take advantage of penet.

True, but an important part of the promise of Java is that many people are
AFAIK actively working on porting it to most major platforms. Right now it
apparently runs only on Solaris 2.3+ and Win NT 3.5. However, Sun is working
on porting it to Win `95 and Mac System 7.5. I assume other people are
trying to port it to other Unices. I recognize that this is RSN again, but
I believe there is reason for optimism in this case.

I'm getting extremely interested in porting the Mixmaster client to Java.
Doug Barnes' enthusiasm at the last BA phys. mtg. has proven infectious,
with a delayed reaction in my case ;).  I plan to say more about this
notion on mix-l within the next few days.

-Futplex <futplex at pseudonym.com>