science foundation interested in anonymity

Vladimir Z. Nuri vznuri at netcom.com
Fri Jul 21 15:24:34 PDT 1995

A mindblowing opportunity to promote the cypherpunk
ideal of anonymity in a highly reputable and influential
context recently dropped into the lap of a friend of
mine.

This close friend of mine got an inquiry from an extremely
prestigious science foundation into the possibility
of studying anonymity in cyberspace. It is an entirely
embryonic stage right now, but a director at this
association is interested in commissioning papers,
interviewing subjects, having focus groups, perhaps even
organizing a conference on the subject, particularly the
"social, legal, and technical" angles. This may have major
impact in the various and sundry studies influencing
future policy on the "information highway".

If you can forward me some leads, I would appreciate it
greatly, and I will get you in touch with this key person.

At this point the contact is at an idea stage and probably
would benefit greatly from talking to organizers of similar endeavors.
Also this project would involve fundraising for the cost
of the studies, so anyone you might know with an interest
in sponsoring this kind of endeavor (particular corporations,
although that would be a bit paradoxical I admit), please
send me email.

For example, if someone could get me the name/phone/email address
of whoever chaired that panel on Anonymity a few years ago
at the Conference on Freedom and Privacy (Helsingius and
Gilmore were panelists), I would greatly appreciate it.

many thanks--

\  / ~/ |\| | | |> |  : : : : : : Vladimir Z. Nuri : : : : <vznuri at netcom.com>
 \/ ./_.| | \_/ |\ | : : : : : : ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/vz/vznuri/home.html