cypherpunk "Zen" victories

Mike Calligaro mikecal at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 20 12:09:40 PDT 1995

<Though I'm not on the list, I read Cypherpunks through the extreme
filter of a friend who forwards all the good stuff to me.>

Vladimir's post was very good.  I only take issue with the last bit.

<<So the next time that you rant about how some bill or another
means the Death of the Net, or the police investigating a remailer
means the downfall of cryptoanarchy, or a lousy article with a
zillion distortions comes out, think again. The greatest cypherpunk
victories are emerging through what would appear at first to be the
"blackest" moments.>>

So long as you remember that when these things come out we still need
to scream and yell about them.  The Rimm Job is not a victory simply
because Rimm was crazy.  It's a victory because many people took the
time to criticize it and many others took the time to inform the masses
of that criticism.

These attacks may go in our favor, so long as we direct them in the
right direction.  There's something Zen in that as well.  Don't punch
your charging opponent.  Instead misdirect hir energy a bit and let hir
run into that wall behind you...