(Cracking) Netscape (is) the Big Win

Peter Trei trei
Thu Jul 20 05:53:40 PDT 1995

> Timothy C. May writes:
> > Integration of crypto into Netscape is thus the Big Win.
> Crypto *is* integrated into Netscape. Unfortunately, the crypto is SSL
> -- a complete waste of time.
>[snip]
> Perry

This is why it's imperative for cpunks to work on the SSL challenge
recently posted. Cracking 40 bit RC4 will provide a strong industry
incentive to move towards stronger crypto standards, and to pressure
the government to relax ITAR.

If the SSL crack looks like it will take a while to gear up, perhaps
we should work on an interim project, cracking a straight 40bit rc4
encrypted message. If there is interest, I can create such a text, and
escrow the key and plaintext in a PGP-encoded posting.

While such a crack will not be as strong a blow against SSL and
40-bit crypto as cracking a complete SSL transaction, it will be
a lot better then only being able to say 'Well, we didn't find a
key, but we *did* sweep 40 bits of keyspace', which is all we have
now. If need be, we can follow up with a crack of full-bore SSL.

Disclaimer: I work on a competing product, but am posting this in
my private capacity. We've bigger fish to fry than Netscape.

Peter Trei
ptrei at acm.org

Peter Trei
Senior Software Engineer