Free The World Web Server project.. :)

Peter Trei trei
Mon Jul 17 11:42:51 PDT 1995

> DM> however, would be unobtrusive. A web page that mails a form letter to
> DM> _your_ congressperson's form-letter-readers (ie staff readers) would be
> DM> much better, IMHO.

>   Expecially if the form letter generated would be randomly selected
> from parallel word streams.  For example:

>        I am <concerned|alarmed|frightened> by the <attacks on privacy
>      rights in|glaring First Amendment violations in|fascist mentality
>      of|ominous provisions of|potential for civil rights infringement
>      by> SB <#BILLNO> <introduced recently| proposed|offered> by Senator
>      <#ORIGINATOR>.....

     This sort of thing bugs me a lot. If your level of passion
on an issue is not enough to send an individually composed letter,
then send a form letter. But don't try to fake out people that
your note is actually individually composed. One of my pet peeves
is junk mail tricked up to look like something else. I expect
legislators feel the same way, and have a lot of practice
recognizing it.

     Personally, if I feel strongly about an issue, I call up
the legislators office and give his/her aide a piece of my mind.
I try to be polite, informative, and find an angle of interest
to that particular legislator, no matter how much I may actually
despise the slimeball (this was tough when talking to Exon's
press secretary).

Peter Trei
trei at acm.org

Peter Trei