unix, vanguard

anonymous-remailer at shell.portal.com anonymous-remailer at shell.portal.com
Sun Jul 16 10:22:36 PDT 1995

>If you want to do something like Raph's remailer list, would you rather
>implement it on a pc running windows or with a perl script on a unix
>box?

Not to prolong this argument, which hopefully won't turn into a lengthy OS
debate, but this argument boils down to the "users vs. developers" situation.

Sure, remailers and remailer lists are better implemented under unix, and
there may be as many as what, 50 people (developers) in the world interested
in doing this? On the other hand, several times that number of users will
access the information and actually give it value; they (users) don't need
unix at all.

Maybe I'm a market share bigot, but to me, if you want to spread crypto to
the masses, you have to do it with tools that run on the platforms the
masses use.

Who knows, perhaps in the future we'll see that the tools, programs, and
front ends run on more popular operating systems, and the relatively fewer
servers and scripts run on unix.

--
Karl L. Barrus <klbarrus at infocom.net>