Encryption and ITAR

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 13 23:47:07 PDT 1995

At 05:30 PM 7/13/95 EST, It's supposed to crash like that. wrote:
>Anyone know how far ITAR reaches?  Is there a list of programs that are illegal
>to take from america anywhere else?  My company does a LOT of buisness (80%)
>outside the US, and I wonder if they are maybe pissing off the NSA or somthing
>with some software they take with them.  (a DES encrypter, and some other
>encryption stuff)

It's the other way around.  Anything that does encryption that they _haven't_
explicitly given you permission to export, or that isn't subject to subtle
and arguable interpretations of the law (or blatantly obvious interpretations
of the First Amendment) is verboten.  So buy your crypto stuff overseas,
and import it, and write letters to your COngresscritters about how annoyed
you are that you have to do this.  Might as well send them a bill for the extra
expenses you've had to incur; they won't pay it, of course, but it should
amuse some of the Republicans....
#                                Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, stewarts at ix.netcom.com