Fight, or Roll Over?

Adam Shostack adam at bwh.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 13 22:47:32 PDT 1995

Perry writes:

| watched and learned of indicates to me that there are enough people
| and companies with an interest here to raise a few million
| dollars. Consider that Netscape alone is a very wealthy company that
| would have its marketing plans strongly disrupted by this new piece of
| congressional trash.

	Sun is also a probable ally.  John Gage (Sun's chief technical
officer?) regularly slams the ITARs, as does CEO Scott McNealy.

	It would seem that those who don't write code should be out
advocating the positive uses of cryptography, and looking for groups
who can effectively fight this the way people normally fight bad
legistlation in Congress.  Petitions don't work.  Spending piles of
cash does.  Writing code works even better.

Adam

--
"It is seldom that liberty          I Support The Phil
of any kind is lost all at     Zimmermann legal defense fund

M4$L#!!0````(`">9ZQX3(*,_DG8!`-JF`P`'````4$=0+D581>S;=UQ3U__X
M\9M!$E8,TT at PJ$10$1=*41%WW`KX$=Q[M5KK`&R%(HH+(T.M"S>NME8K=31N
M:A$[K+5(K:O5BE405ZE:1"3?UTW`:K_]\/G\?O_^?CX>3^_-S;GGO,^\`^@W