Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

Robert A. Hayden hayden at krypton.mankato.msus.edu
Thu Jul 13 09:19:32 PDT 1995

On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, Brian A. LaMacchia wrote:

> What worries me is the first sentence: "each act of distributing
> software is considered a predicate act."  It's not clear to me whether
> this applies to (a)(1) unlicensed software or (a)(2) encryption programs
> (or perhaps both).  Notice that (a)(1) says "transfer" not "distribute".
> Perhaps the act of putting Alleged-RC4 on a FTP site is one act and
> mailing a copy to Cypherpunks is another act.  That might be two
> distributions and thus two predicate acts.

Of course, when you mail it to the cypherpunks list, the program goes to
500+ people, sot hat's 500+ acts.  And who knows how many people connect
to the FTP site, but everybody on the internet COULD connect, so that's
40,000,000 acts.  Welcome to a 6x6 cell with a roommate named Bubba that
wants to make you his wife.

____        Robert A. Hayden      <=> Cthulhu Matata
 \/  /  Finger for Geek Code Info <=> hayden at krypton.mankato.msus.edu
   \/   Finger for PGP Public Key <=> http://att2.cs.mankato.msus.edu/~hayden