How the cypherpunks nearly got me fired (long)

Michael Sattler msattler at jungle.com
Tue Jan 31 23:37:36 PST 1995

At 22:10 1/31/95, David Mandl wrote:

[really horrid story about true life at a corporate dinosaur deleted]

>I just thought
>you might enjoy this little story, and would want to keep it in mind if
>you're ever considering employment at Bear-Stearns.

Part of my job-interviewing procedure has become grilling a would-be
employer (or whoever is asking for a contractor) about their net
connections.  I've been very pleasantly surprized that most [techie] places
are okay on a perspecive employee being interested in the tech grunge of
net access, and considering it part of the working environment, a benefit,
like gourmet coffee.

On the other hand, HP (that god-awful backwards cesspool of bureacracy) had
full net connections to the outside world (when I was there, since turned
off) but in a pathetic attempt to show due diligence searched our
briefcases and backpacks (but not the contents of the laptops, floppies, or
tape cartridges therein).  Someone's going to have to explain to their
legal counsel that taking paper versions out isn't the most efficient

Michael Sattler <msattler at jungle.com>       San Francisco, California  |
Digital Jungle Consulting Services     http://www.jungle.com/msattler/ |

And so these men of Indostan/ disputed long and loud/ each in his own  |
opinion/ exceeding stiff and strong/ though each was partly right/ and |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe                             |