VoicePGP cracked in 10 minutes?...

Michael Handler grendel at netaxs.com
Tue Jan 31 20:31:13 PST 1995

On Tue, 31 Jan 1995, root wrote:

> I heard a rumor hear in Ctl. Tx. that the VoicePGP project was cracked in the
> last couple of days in approx. 10 minutes. Anyone have any info on this other
> than one of those wild rumors that occur?

	Well, uh, yeah.

	VoicePGP hasn't been completed yet, much less released. If it's
been cracked, that's very ... suprising.

	VoicePGP uses Diffie-Hellman and 3DES with three independent
subkeys. If anyone has come up with an attack on D-H or 3DES that works
in ten minutes, I'd love to hear about it, as I'm sure the rest of you would.

	Call Security was cracked by Don Coppersmith [if you don't know who
he is, shame on you: he led the IBM Lucifer/DES team] about a day after the
announcement on sci.crypt. Call Security != VoicePGP.

Michael
--
Michael Handler                                         <grendel at netaxs.com>
Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics                   Philadelphia, PA