NYT on Fermat Proof

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Jan 31 07:09:03 PST 1995

A long article (16k) today on Dr. Andrew Wiles's dramatic, successful
struggle to close the gap in his proof of Fermat's last theorem.

For email copy send blank message to <jya at pipeline.com> with subject:
FERM_hak

Here are excerpts:

   Fermat's last theorem which has tantalized mathematicians
   for more than 350 years, has at last been solved, say those
   who have read the revised but not yet published proof. But
   the endgame of this furious chase has proved as full of
   last-minute surprises as a murder mytery.

   For Dr. Andrew Wiles of Princeton University, the chief
   author of the proof, triumph had to be snatched from the
   jaws of disaster. His first proof, which aroused world-wide
   attention when announced two years ago, turned out to
   contain a gap, which Dr. Wiles found he was unable to cross
   alone.

   ***

   But he went back to the Flach method for one last time.
   "There was one variant in the original argument that I'd
   convinced myself wouldn't work but I hadn't convinced him,"
   Dr. Wiles said. "I was sitting at my desk one morning
   really trying to pin down why the Flach method wasn't
   working when, in a flash, I saw that what was making it not
   work was exactly what would make a method I'd tried three
   years before work. It was totally unexpected. I didn't
   quite believe it." He dashed down from the attic to tell
   his wife. Although his enthusiasm was infectious, Dr. Wiles
   said, " I actually think she didn't believe me."

   ***

   Dr. Wiles said that the breakthrough came in figuring out
   how to glue together an infinite collection of mathematical
   objects called Hecke rings. He had initially been creating
   what was "a very natural relationship between these objects
   -- natural in the sense that you can give a clear
   definition of the maps between them." It was an inductive
   argument. The idea was to take one element of a set and use
   that to find the next element, then to use the second to
   construct a third, and so on.

   The new idea, Dr. Wiles said, "was to simply construct
   artificial maps between these objects."

   "You wouldn't show a relationship explicitly," he said, but
   would use a counting argument to prove that a relationship
   had to exist. The basic idea is to use the pigeonhole
   principle: if you have more objects than pigeonholes to put
   them in, then at least one pigeonhole must contain more
   than one object.

   The complete argument involves creating an infinite
   sequence of sets of pigeonholes and then showing that there
   must be objects that show up in every set of pigeonholes.
   This allowed.Dr. Wiles and Dr. Taylor to prove that there
   must be an infinite set of Hecke rings that share a
   relationship, although they never have to specify exactly
   what that relationship is.